Tuesday 23 November 2010

Part one: How does winter treat you?


Winter effects almost all of us,for most of us its freezing outside right now. The ground takes ages to dry. Dry days are a blessing. I wanted to ask a few pros how they deal with the winter, just a simple question.

How do you deal with the winter? Indoor spot, only ride when its dry or brave the elements and ride in the rain?

Jean William:
Last year we had a spot at a skatepark here in Montreal, this year's spot is way too slippery. I'm working on getting it painted as fast as possible. I've also wrote to the city to ask for any indoor facility available for riding, answer was no. So I'm checking out churches right now, maybe i could ride in one of their basements. It's still ridable outside right now, when the suns out! So I brave the elements for now, but winter in Canada is cruel to the flatland community. That's definitely one reason why the scene doesn't grow much.
Last year we had a spot at a skatepark here in Montreal, this year's spot is way too slippery. I'm working on getting it painted as fast as possible. I've also wrote to the city to ask for any indoor facility available for riding, answer was no. So I'm checking out churches right now, maybe i could ride in one of their basements. It's still rideable outside right now, when the suns out! So I brave the elements for now, but winter in Canada is cruel to the flatland community. That's definitely one reason why the scene doesn't grow much.



Jean William

Bert Ribul:
I don’t have a winter spot, so we try all the underground parking lots, but mostly we get kicked out from everywhere. Last year we were riding in Tallinn’s liberty square tunnel, it’s a really nice place, but then we had a little incident with the cleaning lady and now we can only ride there like once a week if we are lucky.
So we try to find a parking lot or something with a roof on it to ride in and if we don’t succeed, we ride outside.
A few years back we tried to find a winter spot, but everybody turned us down and said we would ruin the floor or they don’t have any room, this year I might get an indoor spot, but nothing sure yet, doesn’t matter, I`ll ride anyways.





Matt Wilhelm:
I grew up riding in garages and basements for over the first 10 years of my life riding. After getting tired of not being able to do all my tricks all year I looked into getting my own indoor spot. I have been renting warehouse space since 2005 and loving it.
It is pretty crazy to think you have to pay money just to ride year-round, but it's better than the alternative of not riding.
I think it also brings our scene together a little bit because it forces the Chicago riders to ride together, which is always a lot of fun. Isn't that what it's all about anyway?



Part 2 later in the week, how do you deal with the winter? Lets hear it in the comments...



12 comments:

Unknown said...

It´s treating me very well over here in Trinidad planning for the finals of Ground Tactics!

Unknown said...

athens ga only has winter for about 3 weeks...just sayin

flatmatters said...

I was interested in Matt's reply, to rent a warehouse is a huge dedication, does anyone else go this far to get there own spot?
I'm lucky to get an indoor place to ride in the mornings 5 days a week, through the local youth service.
@Joseph, so do you guy hibernate for those three weeks?
@Martti, enough it whilst it lasts, I plan to out in California in a weeks time!

A said...

undercover car park for winter stealth sessions for me, but a warehouse would be rad can't afford the rent on that though bet its a lot.

Unknown said...

Struggling to find a winter spot here in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. I am able to ride in a friends barn if I like however it's located 45 minutes north and isn't heated. I find it to be too expensive (in fuel) to have regular sessions and it's also bitter cold.

I'm not giving up though. The urge to ride is a great one. Can't afford to rent anything and I would prefer a place where I'm welcome. Not into sneaking around.

Unknown said...

I know you're loving it over here martti.......... Trinidad and Tobago soon to be the ultimate flatland destination fro all year round training for pros......

and destination for maybe next ground tactics finals.............cow

ortho said...

kleenex and layering. Though you can only layer so much before clothing starts blocking my peripheral vision too much.

Also I hate them, but I think I'm gonna need gloves. Anybody got some good recommendations?

Anonymous said...

just hibernate! duh! eat a lot - and goto sleep for 4-5 months. bears do it all the time. So damn obvious. You really need a new blog entry to figure it out.

slow your heart rate and your basal metabolic rate and goto sleep. Lie in a state of suspended animation. Cryogeniz freezing. etc. doesnt take a damn genius to figure it out. animals do it all the time. Dear god.

Unknown said...

those 3 weeks do suck. it's prob a little more than that all added up. summer is the off time for us. i look forward to winter, dread summer

flatmatters said...

@ Joseph, I was being sarcastic, 3 weeks is no time at all, and you must have few undergrounds over there, sounds ideal. Whats summer like then?

Adam DiClaudio said...

I think I had to put on a long sleeve shirt one day in the past month. It was about 80 degrees F outside yesterday sweating in Austin TX. We have a temperature controlled Doctors parking garage under a hospital that is real clean and smooth that we go to when the weather gets real cold. Technically, you can ride year round here.

flatmatters said...

You are loving it then Adam! Take advantage man, take advantage!